Agriculture stands as a fundamental pillar of Pakistan's economy, contributing significantly to GDP, employment, and foreign exchange revenues. Considering the potential of Agriculture sector for development of Pakistan’s economy, China and Pakistan embarked on enhancing collaboration in this sector by establishing a dedicated Joint Working Group (JWG) under the CPEC framework and signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) vis-à-vis agricultural cooperation in November 2018. It is envisaged to enhance agricultural productivity, technology adoption and value addition which will lead to food security and economic prosperity. Thus far, both sides have held three meetings of JWG resulting in consensus to enhance bilateral cooperation in the following crucial areas:
- Capacity Building: Enhancing the skills and knowledge of Pakistani farmers and agricultural workers to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Germplasm Resources: Exchanging plant and animal genetic resources to enhance crop and livestock varieties.
- Agriculture Product Processing: Modernizing and improving post-harvest processes to reduce wastage and enhance product quality.
- Technology Extension: Facilitating the transfer of advanced agricultural technologies and practices.
- Fisheries: Boosting Pakistan's fisheries sector through cooperation and development.
- FMD Free Zones in Pakistan: Establishing Foot-and-Mouth Disease-free zones to ensure the health of livestock and promote exports.
- Market Information and Trade: Enhancing access to information and trade opportunities.
- Cooperation for agricultural development under CPEC.